Suggested Essay Topics
1. How does Orwell explore the problem of rhetoric in Animal Farm? Paying particular attention to the character of Squealer, how is language used as an instrument of social control? How do the pigs rewrite history?
2. Discuss Boxer. What role does he play on the farm?
3. Compare the lives of the animals when they live under Jones and under Napoleon. In what ways has Napoleon proven himself a similar tyrant?
4. Explain how one of the novel's minor characters (such as Mollie or Moses) illuminates Orwell's major themes and issues.
Examine Orwell's tone when describing the way the animals think of themselves under Napoleon's rule: How does Orwell's tone add to the novel's humor?
5. Explain how the human characters contribute to the novel's themes and issues.
6. Based upon Animal Farm, what deductions can a reader make about the kind of political system of which Orwell would approve?