Copy and paste the exercises in Word. Then complete them.
1) Write past simple or past continuous in the gaps:
1) When the postman (arrive), my father (have a shower).
2) While my brother (study), my grandma (make)
3) I (go) to the doctor 2 days ago because I (have) a terrible headache.
4) When I (be)10, I (eat) a sandwich every evening.
5) He (miss) the train because he (talk) with some friends.
6) The thieves (come) into the house while the man (sleep).
7) I (drink) a glass of water at eleven. I'm not thirsty now.
8) you (write) the composition last week?
9) My mother (not/be) at home when she (fall) down the stairs.
10) The children (plant) a tree when their mummy (call) them.
11) Mr. Stevenson (drive) his car while he was listening to some music.
12) Robert (type) the letter last week because his computer was broken.
13) Louis fell asleep while he (study).
14) Lydia was drinking a glass of coke when Peter (come) in.
15) While Michael was jogging , the dog (chase) him.
16) Mrs. Parker (make) some muffins 2 days ago.
17) Sam and Pam (ride) their bikes when they were small.
18) Joe (run) as he was phoning his wife.
2) Write the most suitable words in each gap (ago, yesterday, last, while, when, as, on, in, at).
1) Tommy's father worked in that office 2 years.
2) The plane was flying 8 p.m. .
3) My best friend went to London month.
4) I was having dinner, my sister was having a shower.
5) did the supermarket close?
6) Your aunt studied German 2001.
7) Rose played in an orchestra she was 12 years old.
8) Jason was swimming his girlfriend was drinking a coke.
9) The TV broke 26th October.
10) did he deliver the shopping?
11) My father's friend had a baby .
12) He didn’t rob the bank. He was having dinner in the restaurant that time .
13) My cousin bought the PSP he was in London.
3) Which sentence is the correct one?
1) a) The men were studying on the new proyect all day yesterday.
b) The men was studying on the new proyect all day yesterday.
c) The men studied on the new proyect all day yesterday.
2) a) When were you finishing your project?
b) When did you finish your project?
c) When were you finish your project?
3) a) You didn't be in the party yesterday.
b) You didn't were in the party yesterday.
c) You weren't in the party yesterday .
4) a) My sister watched TV while her husband was playing with the children.
b) My sister was watching TV while her husband was playing with the children.
c) My sister was watching TV while her husband played with the children.
5) a) The students were talking when the teacher was arriving.
b) The students talked when the teacher was arriving.
c) The students were talking when the teacher arrived.
4) Do you need more practice? Click on the links below.